Travel

  • Travel

    The History of Michigan Stadium from the Big House to The Big House

    Michigan Stadium has been home to many great moments in the history of Michigan football. It was originally named “Big House” because it was so large and looked like a grand house from the outside, but now is more commonly referred to as “The Big House”. The stadium was built in 1927 and originally had an 80,000 person capacity. As Michigan’s population grew, the stadium had to be expanded. The expansion project took place in 1949 and added seats for a total capacity of 117,000 people. In 1975, the playing field was lowered 8 feet and new permanent lights were installed. This allowed for night games to be played at…

    Comments Off on The History of Michigan Stadium from the Big House to The Big House